Saturday, April 14, 2012

S'more Oatmeal

Lately, I've been kind of stuck in a breakfast rut. This statement unto itself makes me very sad because breakfast/brunch is by far my favorite meal of the day. However, when I get busy with school and such, cereal, even with its myriad varieties, can only take me so far. I recently discovered the joy of Thomas' Whole Wheat Mini Bagels, which are delicious topped with some Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I like the 1/3 less fat stuff) and strawberries. But still I yearned for more.

This lazy Saturday morning, I decided to venture into the forgotten territory of oatmeal, cold cereal's less flashy older brother. A warm, hearty breakfast is just what I needed on this gloomy Chicagoland day. Normally, I'm a brown sugar and dried fruit sort of gal, but I was feeling adventurous and, inspired by the random ingredients I had in the pantry, came up with this little number: s'more oatmeal! Great idea, or the greatest idea?

The amounts in the recipe below make one hearty serving of ~1 cup prepared oats. It's super simple and wildly delicious. Cheers!

S'more Oatmeal

Oats

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup water
1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt (depending on your taste)

Topping

1 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tbsp light brown sugar (optional, but good if you like it really sweet)
1 sheet (4 crackers) graham crackers (I had some Honey Maid Gingerbread graham crackers left over from the post-holiday season - nom!)
10 mini marshmallows

Instructions

In a two cup microwave-safe bowl, combine oats, water, and salt. Microwave on medium (50%) power for 5-6 minutes. Stir well after heating.

Mix chocolate chips (and brown sugar, if desired) into the cooked oatmeal, giving the chips a chance to melt and become gooey. Crumble the graham crackers on top of the oatmeal, and top with mini marshmallows. Garnish with a squirt of light whipped cream, if desired.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment